The Best Places to See the Fall Views in the Smoky MountainsPublished: Tuesday, October 17th, 2023
As autumn paints the Great Smoky Mountains in vibrant hues of red, orange, and gold, the region becomes a haven for leaf-peepers and outdoor enthusiasts. With its scenic beauty and charming towns like Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville, Tennessee, the Smoky Mountains offer an unforgettable fall experience. In this guide, we'll showcase the top local spots to enjoy fall views in the Smoky Mountains.
- Cades Cove (Located near Townsend, TN): Cades Cove is a must-visit during the fall season. This stunning valley offers a 360-degree panorama of colorful foliage, with an 11-mile loop road that's perfect for scenic drives and wildlife viewing. Keep an eye out for deer, turkeys, and black bears.
- The Resort at Governor's Crossing Harvest Festival (Sevierville, TN): Experience the beauty of fall at The Resort at Governor's Crossing during their Smoky Mountain Harvest Festival. This seasonal celebration includes festive decorations, special events, and the chance to create cherished holiday memories for guests of all ages.
- Skyland Ranch (Pigeon Forge, TN): Skyland Ranch offers exciting adventures with breathtaking views. Experience thrilling ziplines and canopy tours that provide a unique perspective of the fall foliage. It's an excellent choice for those seeking both adventure and scenic beauty.
- The Foothills Parkway (Located near Townsend, TN): Known as "The Missing Link," this newly completed section of the Foothills Parkway offers unobstructed vistas of the Smoky Mountains. It's an ideal spot for capturing the rolling hills and fiery foliage. Don't forget your camera for breathtaking sunrise and sunset shots.
- Laurel Falls Trail (Located near Gatlinburg, TN): For a short, family-friendly hike, venture to Laurel Falls Trail. This paved path leads to the park's most famous waterfall, surrounded by a tapestry of autumn colors. The trail is relatively easy, making it accessible to hikers of all skill levels.
- Ober Gatlinburg (Gatlinburg, TN): Ober Gatlinburg is a year-round alpine attraction that's particularly stunning in the fall. Ride the Aerial Tramway to reach this mountaintop destination and enjoy seasonal activities like the Alpine Slide with sweeping vistas of the colorful landscape.
- Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail (Located near Gatlinburg, TN): The Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail is a serene drive through dense forests and along mountain streams. It provides an up-close view of the colorful canopy and is particularly captivating in the fall. Be sure to explore the trails and picnic areas along the route.
- Anakeesta (Gatlinburg, TN): Anakeesta is an enchanting mountain top attraction that offers spectacular panoramic views of the Smokies. Take the Gondola ride to the summit and explore the treetop walkways for unbeatable fall foliage views. The Firefly Village is a cozy place to grab a meal and enjoy the scenery.
Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville offer a plethora of stunning locations to immerse yourself in the magic of fall. Whether you're exploring the park's pristine natural beauty or enjoying the amenities of local attractions, you'll find countless opportunities to appreciate the breathtaking autumn foliage in the Smokies. So, pack your camera and your sense of wonder, and embark on an unforgettable fall adventure in this remarkable region.